Monday, October 20, 2008

Murphey's Law

Since I've been little my mother and father have named every rule I can imagine:

Never Run With Scissors

Don't look a gift-horse in the mouth

Always eat the peas, you don't know who out there is starving for yours

And my personal favorite:

When you haste that's when accidents happen


Even though I always thought those that wanted my peas could have them, it's the last one I'd like to talk about.

About a month ago I asked my brother to go to Media Markt and buy me the largest external harddrive he could find for 100 euros. For 70 he bought me this great harddrive with so much space my mouth began to water at the thought of all the music, movies, and tv shows I could put on it. Low and behold the next day it was broken. My mother had tripped over the cord and it had fallen to it's doom- Not after taking everything with it.

So, two days later I went with my father back to Media Markt and I exchanged it. For an extra 80 euros. I got something that the guy told me would be less easy to break.

Two weeks later I've broken it. This time I was the one to trip over it. And after downloading everything all over again, I've hit a point where I say: I really don't give a shit anymore. I can't return it, and I'm going on vacation in 2 days. Just calm down and let it pass over me.

This isn't the first time Murphey's bit me in the ass.

Two years ago I bought a laptop. An acer that was on sale and that was supposed to be oh so reliable. A day after the 1 year warrenty it dies. sigh... 3 months and 1000 euros later I have another laptop, but it's a sony... and i'm starting to feel Murphey scrating at my elbow. Now if the scab follows I think I might pack it all in and become amish. I'm one step away from it as it is.

Technology is supposed to be reliable. Entire countries are now on computers. If that's the case and my small little electronic junk can't survive how are we supposed to? I'm just waiting for the Die Hard 4.0 to come to life... "firesale everyone, everything's got to go, get it while it's hot!"

No comments: