Tuesday, December 16, 2008

The different faces of Facebook

Facebook, a global website created as a means for people to get in touch with friends and meet new people has been used in a new way. As a way to pass legal documents. In Australia the courts allowed a lawyer in Canberra to serve a couple who had not paid their loan installments over facebook. It was used as a last resort because the couple were not to be reached over the phone, by email, or at home. This was the first time that something like this has happened and the Australian courts said that they'll continue using facebook as a tool as long as it is used appropriately and through a message, not on people's walls so that others might read.



I think this is pretty rediculous. And I'm not sure it's all that legal. What about if you've given your password to someone else. I myself use a set number of passwords, all of which my brother and a couple other people know. As much as I love my brother, I wouldn't want him to know of financial or legal problems until I was ready to tell him.

I'm not for it. Who's to say we wont start doing this kind of stuff by text messege. Where will we draw the line?

1 comment:

Paula said...

Actually, I think they've got a point.

Here's someone who's done something wrong, and who refuses to acknowledge this. If this person has given out their passwords, and has friends or family who can read private stuff... well, that's tough!.

First of all, what are you doing giving out your passwords anyway?

Secondly, if you've done something wrong, be good enough to own up to that, so the authorities don't have to go through something that may be more public than you'd like.

Thirdly, don't do anything wrong!!!