Monday, May 13, 2002

A Beautiful Mind: Ramblings of Genius

Now, I know that a lot of people thought that it was a bad movie, but in my opinion it's one of the best I have seen. The very idea that you are led by dilusions and that they feed into your psychosis scares me.
When I was in middle school, a fiend and I used to play around pretending that we had imaginary friends. We would scare the hell out of people in class saying: "No! Don't sit there! You'll sit on Marvin!" They would move away looking weirdly at us, and we would laugh, or they would laugh with us and sit down, or they would just sit and ignore us, while we laughed. Any of these ways proved humorful. But watching "A Beautiful Mind" makes me feel... sad I guess. Not for John Nash, but for myself and my own immaturity.
As I grew older my idols have always been tended to the insane (With the exception of my grandmother). Einstein, Nash, and Darwin are just some of the geninouses that have changed the way that we think, interact, and understand. Einstein's theory or relativity took years after his death to be accepted, as was Darwin's theory of evolution (that we decended form monkies). They were thought of as not only insane, but they're minds full of nothingness and ludacracy. But how much does it take to be a genius? How much hatred, unaccepted fears, and desires must me face to overcome the barriers of society to be accepted? Apparently all the way.
John Nash was and is one of the most brilliant men alive today or has been in my opinion. His theory of Equalibrium has reshaped Economies all over the world not to mention allowed for break-throughs in the fields of biology, chemistry and Mathematics. But his price for his genius was schizophrenia.
They say that we cannot all possess everything, that there is some sort of balance. Either you're good in something and less good in something, or like the majority of us, there is some sort of balance. Nash ate slept, thought, and loved mathematics, and it was this driving force to prove himself to the world that caused him to become paraniod, over-achieving, and crazy. Up until the moment that he met his wife Alecia. She was his counter-balance. Her social and liveliness made up for his inability to preform socially infront of others, and it was with her love that he survived. Survived is perhaps the wrong word to use, but I have no other means of saying what I think he came out of.
The physical and metaphysical suffering he went through did nothing more than disturb him all the more, up to the point that his wife betryaed him and had a psychiatrist take her husband by force. Then it was not his mind that poisoned his mathematical rationalization. No, it was the medicine he was being fed. All his life all he wanted to do was Mathematics, but how do you do that when the processing side of your brain is being shutdown by medication, that is not only killing you mentally but also spiritually? Instead Nash decided to do it himself. Like a mathematics problem he solved the issue. He mearly stopped reacting to his mind's visions. New faces were questioned, and ones he knew weren't there were ignored.
But as I began, I asked how far will you have to go to be an accepted genius, and all the way is correct. Nash eventually got the Nobel Prize in 1997. If that isn't overcoming barriers, then I don't know what is. Is there a difference between a genius and being smart? Definately. Smart people make leaps, and do things that change the world on a daily basis. Genius's only come once in a while. They create not only leaps, but those leaps come at prices. They are the men and women who dedicate themselves to proving their theories no matter what the cost: their reputation, their families, or event their mind.
As I mentioned earlier, we feed our dreems, as we feed a child. But as we feed that child so do we feed lust, love, and dilusions making one wonder what eveything is worth, how lucky we are, and if our appitites are too big, or too small.
Scully: You're the genius, Mulder, I'm just a smart person tagging along and trying to keep up.
Mulder: You're not smart, Scully, you're ingenius, you keep my genius mind from hitting what all the others did: insanity. You make me a whole person, and as you owe me nothing, I owe you the world and more. I'll be indebted to you for the rest of my days.

No comments: