Tuesday, June 21, 2005

The Wedding
Part one of four
Before the wedding
Samantha's point of View

The music in the adjacent hall was soft and beautiful: two violins, a cello, and a viola were playing one of the more romantic pieces from Tchikovsky's Romeo and Juliet. Alecia was fussing with the bottom of my dress, as Ingrid made sure the veil wasn't going to fall off mid procession. I looked back into the mirror at the beautiful white dress that I wore. The soft material danced around. For once in my life I looked beautiful and I actually believed it.
"Hold still, Sam!" Alecia warned. "The tail's gonna wrinkle otherwise."
"Sorry." I said, trying not to move, but I was so nervous. In a couple minutes the music would start and the doors would open. Then I began to panic. My mind was racing: 'am I doing the right thing? Do I really look okay? What if he's not there?! Oh God!'
Ingrid, who was still playing with the bloody veil, caught my look. "Sam, what's wrong?"
I took a deep breath. "Nothing. Just silly thoughts."
Then the door opened and Margriet walked in. "You ready Sam? We're ready to start. Your mom's helping your dad get his bow on straight, and then he'll be here to walk you down. Towel looks like he's about to pee in his pants."
"Mag… It's Brandon. Not Towel." I corrected her.
"He'll always be Towel to me." Her smile lighted the mood. "He said that he can't wait to see you."
"I bet he just can't wait till tonight." Ingrid laughed.
"Ingrid!" I shook my head. This was life. Friends making sexual leers, a man to love, and warm weather. Everything was perfect: until Dad walked in.
"Ready Mister Knerbein?" Margriet asked.
"Yup. You get the ball rolling." His deep voice reminded me of the many times he'd read to Charlie and Miranda.
"Here goes Sam. Good luck." Margriet leaned over and kissed my cheek and then exited the room.
"You look beautiful, Pumpkin. I'm so proud of you."
A tear threatened to fall down my cheek. "Daddy, don't make me cry. I'll ruin all this expensive make up."
He chuckled at the thought and reached into his pocket for a handkerchief. He delicately raised my hand and stuck in my sleeve. "For when you do cry." He smiled and gave me a kiss.
That's when the music started. "Oh God." I whispered.
"No worries, Sam." Alecia said. "Everything's going to be good. Just you wait and see. Now, lets get you married." She and Ingrid stood in front of me in their lilac dresses. It had taken us days to find the right ones. Some were too dark. Others were too light. When we finally had decided on the right ones we were mostly glad we had waited so long. When the doors opened they walked down the isle.
I looked up at my dad before I moved. "I love you Dad."
"I love you too." Then taking his arm I moved towards my new family and future.

No comments: